Music Industry Law
Music Industry Law
Practice Areas: Entrepreneurship, Intellectual Property, Digital Licensing, Corporate, Business, Entertainment, General Counsel & Consulting, Gambling, Litigation, E-commerce, Labor, Shareholder/Creditors’ Rights, Crowd Funding and Criminal Defense.
- Litigation involving James Brown’s estate. (United States Supreme Court (successful), 4th Circuit Court of Appeals (successful), South Carolina Supreme Court (successful), multiple state court actions). Currently in South Carolina Court of Appeals on two issues.
- Represented Internet Video Gaming Companies and ISPs in content acquisitions, licensing, privacy and ecommerce policies, brand and revenue model development.
- Represented International Internet/Mobile Gambling and Lottery Conglomerate in all facets of USA and international gambling law including, but not limited to governmental compliance, IP protection and licensing, corporate structuring, Internet Site conditions and e-commerce.
- Acquisition of sports equipment entity, assets and associated IP, including due diligence and documentation. Business Consulting, Business Plan development.
- IP licensing to networks including Fox Sports, ESPN, CBS Sports, SI.com, Spike, MTV & BET.
- Successfully represented Internet Service Providers (ISP) under Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) safe harbor provision.
- Represented Lifestyle and Business magazines in acquisitions, IP prosecution and protection, personal likeness and trademark licensing/clearances, litigation and litigation management.
- Represented artists and companies in Joint Venture agreements with Fortune 500 companies.
Professor, Georgia State University (2014-Present) Atlanta
- Artist Representation , Entrepreneurship in Music & Legal Aspects in Music
Professor, SAE Institute (2009-2014) Atlanta
- Copyright & Entertainment Law, Music Business &Entrepreneurship
- Graduation Keynote Speaker (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
Judge, Municipal Court (2004-2008) Dekalb County, GA
Presided over Governmental Compliance and Misdemeanor Criminal matters.
Compendia Media Group, Inc./
Platinum Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ PTET) (1999-October 2004) Atlanta/ Nashville
Executive Vice President & General Counsel: Oversaw all aspects of the operations, Intellectual Property, corporate, business, licensing, litigation, acquisitions, joint ventures and labor legal needs for the $60M gross revenue, publicly traded media company.
- New Fortune 100 Owner: Senior Team Member. Instrumental in Platinum Entertainment, Inc. sale and asset transfer to Dominion Resource (DOW: D).
- Digital Media/Digital Delivery initiative. Directed digital download model and licenses.
- Successful Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: Responsible for all aspects of real, company & Intellectual Property cataloging and preservation. Internal liaison to bankruptcy court and steering committee.
- “Go Forward” Business Plan: Instrumental in creating new business model, negotiated senior personnel and new employee compensation packages, developed traditional & Internet marketing campaign & integrated advanced technology for more efficient business and legal operations.
- Branding/IP Licensing Deals:
- House of Blues Joint Venture Trademark License and branded music series.
- Coca-Cola Trademark and Copyright Licenses for multi/album/year holiday music series.
- Lion’s Gate Films’ Oscar Winning “Monster’s Ball” Soundtrack.
- Sir George Martin (Beatles) Executive Producer/Endorsement/Branding Agreement.
- National Geographic multi/album/year brand license for music series.
- IP Asset Acquisitions/Sales: Valuation, negotiation, due diligence and documentation.
- Royal Philharmonic Master Catalog.
- House of Blues Music Catalog.
- Industry Impact: Developed and Negotiated “ground breaking” “No Recoup/No Deduction” Music Copyright License: Artist: Kansas. Topic at various music industry conferences.