A Faculty Hiring Request (Appendix D, formerly known as FTR) packet must be completed after all candidates from the approved pool have been interviewed, or have withdrawn their candidacy, and the department has decided on a recommended candidate.
A Faculty Hiring Request packet must be submitted for each candidate the department wishes to hire.
Faculty Hiring Request Packet:
Documents must be presented in the order listed:
- A completed Faculty Hiring Request form (Appendix D).
- A letter of recommendation from the Dean to the Provost supporting the selection of the candidate, based upon a review of credentials (if tenure on appointment will be offered a tenure review dossier must be included).
- A letter of recommendation from the Chair/Director to the Dean supporting the selection of the candidate based upon a review of credentials, fit within the college/department (if tenure on appointment or tenure credit is offered, it must be addressed in this letter).
- A letter of recommendation from the search committee to the Chair/Director detailing recruitment efforts, including a rationale for selection of the candidate over other qualified candidates and an assessment of the candidate’s fit within, and anticipated contribution to the advancement of the college/department.
- A minimum of three letters of reference for the candidate. If tenure is offered, the reference letters must address tenure.
- The original approved Approval of Pool form (Appendix C) .
- A copy of a published advertisement along with the publication’s name and print date.
- A copy of the candidate’s vita.
The College HR Office submits the Faculty Hire Request packet to the Dean’s Office for approval. Upon the Dean’s Office approval, the college HR office forwards it to the Provost’s office. The Provost’s office forwards the approved FHR packet to ODDEP for review and approval.
ODDEP contacts the Provost and the HR Office within 48 hours to notify everyone of the approval. The HR Office notifies the department of approval. The Provost’s Office forwards the For the Record packet to the HR Office.
To recommend an alternate candidate when the first recommended candidate declines the initial offer, submit a complete FHR packet for the alternate candidate, using the same Log Number. Write the name, gender and race of the candidate who declined the initial offer on the Appendix D under the section entitled “If Offered and Declined.”
Extending the Offer
- The College HR Office sends an offer letter to the prospective faculty member with a CC to the department. Personnel forms will accompany the letter to the candidate. Please note: The personnel forms must be completed by the candidate and returned to the College HR Office before the candidate can be activated as a Georgia State employee.
- After the employment offer has been accepted by the candidate, the department will notify all other candidates in writing, that a selection has been made.
- The candidate will be required to return the following to the College HR Office:
- Completed new faculty appointment record.
- Original official transcript of highest degree earned that lists date of conferral.